Bantry- Kealkill—Glengarriff—Durrus

Established 1990

Saturday the 6th of October


The u12’s travelled to Ardfield for their second league game of the season. A big panel of players was available for this game. Rovers went in search for an early goal and in the 3th minute a great pass was finished with a good header from Ayrton o’Shea to put Rovers 1-0 up. In the 7th minute Ayrton could have made it 2-0 after Daniel Murphy’s cross was just missed. In the 9th minute an attack by Ardfield was cleared of the line by Donal Casey. It was Donal who put Rovers 2-0 up when he hit a lovely strike from outside the box into the top left corner in the 20th minute. Michael Casey in goal made a great save from an Ardfield free kick in the 22nd minute. In the 29th minute Ayrton was unlucky to see the Ardfield keeper save his shot following a goalmouth scramble. Daniel Murphy made it 3-0 to Rovers when he beat the defenders and slotted the bal past the goalkeeper.

In the second half Donal Casey got his second goal after just 3 minutes and Ayrton made it 5-0 when a clever pass split the defence open. Rovers used up all their subs after this and each one of them played well. Man of the match performance by Donal Casey. Other players do play well were Daniel, Joe and Ben Murphy, Ayrton O’Shea, Andrew O’Brien and Michael Casey.


Sunday the 7th of October


The Juniors played Rosscarberry in a league game. After some disappointing results Rovers needed to get a win under their belts. Rosscarberry who lost 6-0 the previous week took a shock lead. Rovers battled hard and took the lead before half time with goals from Shane Drummey and Kieran Hourihane. In the second half Rovers took full charge of the game and further goals by Shane[2], Donal O’Shea[2] gave them a 6-2 win. Next weekend they will play the same opposition in Kealkill in the Foodlink Event Catering Shield at 2.30pm.


Saturday  the 13th of October


The U14 team recorded another good victory away to Drinagh Rangers.

A team like performance saw them score 7 goals without reply. Paudi Cronin, David Casey and Jerry Harrington all scored 2 with Kevin Casey getting on the score sheet as well. There were star performances by David Casey, Alex Karkalas and Arron Murnane. This is a good omen for the upcoming National Cup fixture against Rockmount from the Cork Schoolboys League.

This game will be played in Kealkill on Saturday the 20th of October at 11am.

Come and support them.


Sunday the 14th of October 


The Juniors played Rosscarberry in the preliminary round of the Foodlink Event Catering Shield [used to be AIB Shield].

They took an early lead when Brian Murphy scored in the 3rd minute. Despite having a lot of possession they didn’t add a second goal until close to half time when Kevin Harrington cleverly chipped the goalkeeper. There were enough chances to finish of the game in the second half but none were taken. This could have proved costly as Rosscarberry pulled a goal back with 1 minute to go. Rovers held on and are safely through to the next round.


Saturday the 20th of October


The u14 team played host to Rockmount of the Cork Schoolboys league in the  National Cup competition. Having gone nearly one up when Jerry Harrington’s shot went just wide, Rockmount went straight up the pitch to take the lead. This shook Rovers and before they knew it they were 2-0 down. Rockmounts strong striker played havoc with the rovers defence and they made it 3-0 before half time. After the half time talk and some changes Rovers played better. They created some chances but it was Rockmount who scored once more in the half to leave the final score 4-0. This Rovers team can keep their heads up high as they played a fine Rockmount side.


Sunday the 21st of October


The Juniors had a fine win over Ardfield in the league.

Shane Drummey scored twice to give Rovers a 2-1 win.



Saturday the 27th of October

A depleted U18 side were 4 minutes away from a win over Bunratty. Having led 2-1 in poor weather conditions they were waiting for the final whistle. Bunratty kept playing away and got their reward with a late equaliser. Jason O’Sullivan had given Rovers the lead in the 26th minute when John Connolly played a pass in behind the defence which he converted. A great start to his return to the Rovers line up. Just 4 minutes later Bunratty were level when a powerful Jonathon Martin shot came back of the post and hit the rovers keeper from behind to roll over the line. In the second half Aidan Harrington won the ball on the wing and his cross deceived everyone and ended up in the far corner to put Rovers 2-1 up. Rovers played well and created some chances without converting them. When Bunratty brought on some subs, a luxury which the Rovers team didn’t have, they started to put Rovers under a bit of pressure. Rovers defended well but couldn't do anything about the equalizer. It was a super shot by D O’Callaghan to leave the final score 2-2. 


Sunday the 28th of October


The Juniors were away to Riverside in the league. Riverside took the lead only for Kieran Hourihane to level. Riverside retook the lead only to give Rovers a penalty after a Dermot O’Connell shot was handled by one of the defenders. Shane Drummey converted the spot kick to level the score at 2-2 on the stroke of half time. Rovers took the lead for the first time with a powerful Kieran Hourihane header 20 minutes into the second half. Riverside levelled the game within minutes. The game looked like finishing all level but sub Kevin Harrington had other ideas and gave Rovers the lead again close to full time to leave the final score 4-3 to Rovers. With both Bunratty and Aultagh getting beaten the 3 points won by Rovers opens up Division 1.


Saturday the 3rd of November

U12’s LOSE AND 16’s DRAW

The u12’s were home to neighbours Durrus and in a close match lost 1-0. Rovers started well and put Durrus under pressure. In the 8th minute Ayrton O’Shea was played through by Joe Murphy to leave him one on one with the goalkeeper who made a great save. Durrus got more into the game after that and were unlucky not to score in the 13th minute when the ball was finally cleared after a goalmouth scramble. Joe Murphy had a great chance in the 22nd only to see his shot rise over the bar. Durrus took the lead in the 28th after a defensive mistake left a player free to score. It was the same story in the second half with Rovers pushing forward for the equaliser. The Durrus goalkeeper was kept busy and made some great saves. In the 37th he stopped a Donal Casey free. Ayrton was played into space again but the goalkeeper was not going to get beaten today as he made another great save. In between the Rovers attacks Michael Casey made a great save when a Durrus player found himself through on goal. Final score 1-0 to Durrus. Despite the team not playing well, if they had taken any of the chances they got they could have won the game. After this match it was the turn of the u16’s to play their first league game of the season at home to Clonakilty. As they didn’t have a full team Paudi Cronin, David Casey, Eoghan O’Sullivan and Alex Karkalas were drafted in from the u14 team to play. Rovers should have scored in the start of the game only for Greame o’Leary’s shot to be blocked after David Power made a good run down the wing. Ricky Peters hit a long range effort against the post. Clonakilty could have scored on the stroke of half time only for Alex to make a great save in goal. 5 minutes after the restart Clon took the lead when an unmarked player headed the ball into the goal following a corner. Clon applied some pressure after this but when a defensive change was made Rovers went back attacking again. In the 61st minute Greame played the ball back to Ricky and his shot hit the back of the net to level the score. Just 2 minutes later Rovers should have gone into the lead but David Powers great effort hit the crossbar. The Clon keeper made a great save from Greame O’Leary’s header in the 66th minute. Rovers took the lead 8 minutes from time when Markie Delaney made a run down the wing and scored. While Rovers were celebrating the referee was surrounded by the Clon players and management who said the ball had gone out over the sideline before Markie scored. The referee changed his decision and awarded a throw in to Clonakilty. Rovers kept on looking for the winner and had a header cleared of the line in the 76th and hit the crossbar again in the 77th. In the last minute Clon nearly got the winner when they had another free header after a corner but Alex made a great save.


Sunday the 4th of November


The Juniors went joint top of Division 1 when they had a hard earned victory over Lyre in Kealkill. Both teams created chances but didn’t convert them. Rovers seemed to be the stronger team as the game went on. It looked like it was going to finish in a draw but 10 minutes from time Kieran Hourihane was played through on the wing and he hit the ball with the outside of his boot past the goalkeeper to give Rovers a good win. Next weekend they will travel to Dunmanway to play Aultagh in a top of the table clash. With Clonakilty town expected to take the points in their home game against Togher and Bunratty at home to Ardfield a win for either would keep them on top. 


Saturday the 10th of November


Last weekend saw the U8’s play their first blitz of the season. They came home with one win, one draw and 2 loses.

The u14 team travelled to unbeaten Lyre Rovers for a league game last Saturday and were unlucky to lose 3-0, with 2 of the goals coming in the last few minutes. The u18 team were also in action last Saturday. They had to travel to Clonakilty for a league game with for the 5th match running a completely different team. Mark Delaney became the 6th goalkeeper the team used so far. Rovers started strong and took the lead in the 10th minute when a John Connolly header released Jason O’Sullivan and he scored an easy goal. Clon got straight back into the game and put Rovers changed defence under a lot of pressure. In the 18th minute Clon were level when one of their players beat the offside trap and finished well. This shook Rovers for a while and Clon should have gone ahead in the 23rd minute when one of their attackers had a free header from a good cross but the ball hit the outside of the post. Rovers regrouped after this pressure and started to play well again. Despite creating several chances the half time score was 1-1. In the second half Rovers looked for a quick goal. In the 51st minute Jason O’Sullivan got in behind the defence but his shot went just wide. In the 54th minute a John Connolly through ball fell to Jason O’Sullivan and his shot came of the crossbar. The rebound was picked up by Shaun O’Sullivan and his left footed shot ended up in the far corner to put Rovers back in the lead. Just 3 minutes later Clon were level again. Mark Delaney dropped the ball in the 18 yard box and while trying to retrieve the ball he collided with a Clon player and the referee gave a penalty. From the restart Rovers went straight up the pitch and when the ball came to Shaun O’Sullivan he scored a spectacular goal to put Rovers back in the lead for the 3rd time. Jason O’Sullivan should have scored in the 65th minute only to see his shot go post the wrong side of the post. A John Connolly free was well saved by the Clon goalkeeper in the 68th minute. Clon pushed forward in the last 20 minutes without putting Rovers under too much pressure. When David Power was brought down by a tackle which went unpunished, one of the Rovers defenders was shown a second yellow card for objecting. This left Rovers with 10 men and they had to regroup for the last 10 minutes. Clonakilty made it easy for Rovers when one of their attackers lost his cool and brought down James Horgan in the Rovers box and was shown a straight red card by the referee. Shaun ’Clar’ O’Sullivan was the man of the match. He played defender, midfielder and attacker at the same time and scored 2 great goals to secure the 3 points for Rovers which brings them up to 3rd in the table.


Sunday the 11th of November


On Sunday the Juniors travelled to dunmanway to take on Aultagh in a top of the table clash. Aultagh took the lead in the 5th minute when one of their attackers seemed to kick the ball out of the goalkeeper’s hands and put it in the net. The referee left the goal stand so Rovers had to do it the hard way. They went level in the 21st minute when Brian Murphy scored with a powerful header from a corner. Rovers had a good spell and Brian O’Sullivan made it 2-1 in the 26th minute with a bouncing free kick. Kiearan Hourihane nearly made it 3-1 in the 29th minute only to see his shot blocked by the goalkeeper. Rovers did go up 3-1 just before half time when Brian O’Sullivan got his second from a free kick which ended up in the top corner. In the second half things went wrong. Some decisions by the referee upset the Rovers players and some yellow cards were shown. Aultagh pulled a goal back in the 53th minute to set up the match for a grand stand finish. For some unknown reason Brian O’Sullivan received his second yellow card and Rovers were down to 10 men. Rovers still created some chances but a disputed 3rd goal by Aultagh levelled the game at 3-3. Rovers never stopped playing and got a 4th goal when Brian Murphy went past a defender and buried his shot in the far corner with 10 minutes to go. Rovers defended well for the last 16 minutes as the referee allowed 6 minutes of injury time. This was a great 3 points for Rovers as both Clonakilty and Bunratty lost.           













              Match Reports